We here at Houseplant Addicts would like to take this opportunity to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic.
Houseplants are a safe haven for many of us; they bring us a joy, help us heal, improve our living spaces and most importantly – they bring us together in solidarity. It is more important now than ever that we all work together to prevent the spread of this virus and protect our high risk friends, family and neighbors. This includes following the CDC’s recommendations and the WOH’s recommendations, listening to our local governments and practicing social distancing.
Why it’s so important:
COVID-19 is a highly infectious virus that can cause respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
There is currently no well-studied treatment for COVID-19 and more research is needed in order to treat infected people efficiently. Likewise, there is no vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 yet and the development of such a vaccine will take a significant amount of time. With no vaccines and no prior wide-spread immunity, everyone is a susceptible target for infection. While most infected people will only suffer from mild symptoms, this lack of herd-immunity can lead to severe illness in a significant number of at-risk individuals.
How to protect yourself:
- Wash your hands often and practice good cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Avoid touching your face especially your mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Practice social distancing, no hugs and kisses, no handshakes, no high fives.
- If they are still opened in your area; do not attend concerts, parties, theatres, bars, clubs, dine-in restaurants, sporting events, or any other mass entertainment events or venues.
- Reduce travel to necessary trips only – work, doctors offices or trips for essential supplies.
- Do not use public transportation if not absolutely necessary.
- If you can work from home, work from home.
- Replace as many social interactions as possible with remote alternatives like phone calls or video chat.
- Do not leave your home unless absolutely necessary. Practice self quarantine guidelines.
- Wear a face-mask and gloves if you are sick and must leave your home.
Wash your hands often following the CDC’s and WOH’s handwashing guidelines. Wash before and after using the restroom, before and after preparing food, after petting an animal, after touching garbage, etc.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Join our entire Houseplant Addict’s network for more plant love, if you need a distraction from the media or for support from the community during this time. You can also apply to be our featured fan while you’re here!